Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Lord Knows

A whirlwind of violence has taken over the world as of late. And unless you live under a rock, you most likely have heard of some, if not all, of these tragedies. The Syrian revolution. The genocide of Muslims in Burma. The theater massacre in Aurora, CO. And most recently, the mass shooting inside a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, WI.

Oh and not to mention the staggering fact I heard recently about how more people have been killed in the streets of Chicago than American soldiers in Afghanistan since 2001. Blows your mind right?

Now, I'm not really here to talk about these events or the implications of such events or anything like that. There are plenty of resources for you to look up if you want that aspect. What I wanna talk about are our reactions to such events. And when I say "our," I mean the general public in the United States that aren't really affected directly by these events. Even though we should be.

What do I mean by this? Well, maybe the examples I used aren't great ones. The Colorado shootings had created an uproar in the States as people called for stronger gun control laws. But it's been a couple weeks since the shootings and most of our lives have gone back to normal. The shooter was crazy, that's why he did it. That's our general opinion.

Massacre at a Sikh temple? Oh, the guy was just a white supremacist.

Syrian revolution where thousands of innocent people are getting killed? Oh well, you're bound to have sacrifices in a revolution.

Muslims being killed in Burma? Oh...well, s**t happens.

Another 3 people killed on the south side last night? After 2 people were killed the night before? And probably another 10 by the end of the week? Sucks.

Do you see the problem here? We've become so desensitized to people getting killed that it doesn't bother us anymore. We turn on the news and we can't wait for the reporters to get through who got killed so they can hurry up and get to the sports segment. It doesn't affect us in the slightest that although they may be different in culture and religion than yourself, there are hundreds of thousands of innocent human beings like yourself being slaughtered for being who they are.

Imagine waking up one day to hear a knock on the door. You open it to find men fully dressed in battle gear rush inside your home. You and your family were just eating breakfast a minute ago, and now these men have already slit your father's throat. They've tied your mother up and taken her somewhere to do unspeakable things. Your older brother tries defending your family and gets shot in the head. Your little sister is pushed to the side as she cries in terror.

Seems almost unimaginable right?

Now think about how this is a reality for so many people overseas. Innocent people who are getting slaughtered just because God made them the way they are. Because of their beliefs. Their ideals.

If you can't imagine that, let's go a little closer to home. You're with your friends playing ball after school one day. You hear about gangs and whatnot all the time but you don't let it bother you. You've had gangstas come up to you trying to recruit you but you don't pay them any mind. You're not out to hurt anyone or disrespect anyone, you're just doing you. You're minding your own business. So after going 4-for-5 in basketball this one evening, you decide it's getting late and hop on the Red Line to go home. You're wearing that lame t-shirt they hand out at school and laugh to yourself as you think about how you're probably the only person in the world wearing a lame orange shirt with a dolphin in front. Got your new black Adidas shorts on and those worn out Reeboks you've had for forever. It's only a few weeks till your birthday when you'll get money from family and use it to buy a nice, shiny pair of Nikes. You get off at your stop and start the 3 block walk back to your house. You notice a few guys following you but you don't pay any mind. You're just being paranoid, right? After all, you have no enemies. You're cool with everyone.

The next morning, everyone at school is talking about you. And how you were fatally beaten and your bloody and battered body was found in an alley next to a dumpster. The news is reporting how you were mistaken for a rival gang member because of the colors you were wearing.

Across town, a family is watching the news. A 17 year old kid, mistakenly identified as a gang member, was beaten to death. The channel flips to FOX though because The Simpsons is on at this time. And plus, sports isn't on till 5 minutes before the end of the news broadcast.

There is something seriously wrong with us if we hear the news of death and it doesn't strike a beat in our hearts. Because at that point, we've lost our humanity. When we lose the ability to sympathize, we lose our humanity. When we brush off the news of death just because we hear about it all the time, we lose our humanity. When it doesn't anger us that dozens of people were murdered for no reason, we lose our humanity.

What I wanna do with this post is simply make a call to everyone that's reading this. I wanted to keep this as short as possible because I want this message to be clear and concise. Please do not lose your humanity. Train yourself to the point where whenever you hear the news of someone dying, you take a moment to realize what had just happened. Step in their shoes if you have to. The shoes of the families and friends. The shoes of the victim who could've been you for all you know.

On that note, please pray for humanity as well. Pray for the victims of the theater shooting in Colorado who were just trying to enjoy a fun night out. Pray for the innocent Syrians killed every day and pray they have peace and victory in their quest for fairness and freedom. Pray for the Muslims in Burma so as they don't have to face death because of their beliefs. Pray for the Sikhs in Wisconsin murdered for no reason other than they were different than the shooter. Pray for all of humanity so that we can all accept each other for who we are regardless of beliefs or skin color. Pray that we are not judged by how we look or what religion we choose to follow. Pray that we never lose our sense of humanity. Pray for unity. Pray for peace. For after all, we are all human. At the end of the day, we're all flesh and blood and not one of us is better than the other. No one's right to live is greater than anyone else's. May these senseless killings stop, and may Allah give the righteous victory. Ameen.

Credit to: Hichammm

93 comments:

Carmen Sandiego said...

Yay for a new post! I had a feeling you'd be writing one sometime soon. Good thing I checked back! I can't believe you don't think your thoughts are organized when after I read your post, it seemed so intellectual and full of feeling. basically pro. lol
I think I see a future for you in writing. haha

It's sad how the frequent occurrence of these events have desensitized many people, and now when they hear about a death, its like a natural everyday event, nbd. When someone has never experienced something such as a family member being tortured to death and or shot to death because someone with a mental illness was somehow handed a gun, it's hard for them to understand what it's like, but on the other hand when such things are occurring every single day, I'd expect something to spark in everyone like anger and the need to do something about it. I admit, that when I hear something such as a major shooting, I will take a moment to think about what has happened and how many people were just affected by it and it will strike a sense of fear in me, but eventually I'll dismiss it simply because I don't know how to help. It makes me feel bad and I know I can't ever completely eradicate these problems, but your post has led me to really evaluate my emotions when it comes to these tragic events.

May Allah help us all.

ChiTownGuevara said...

haha i don't know about intellectual, but i will agree with the full of feeling part.

i'll be the first to admit that i feel that way sometimes too when i hear about a death. like it's no big deal. and so with that in mind, i write these posts as a reminder to myself before anyone else.

and btw what do you mean you had to check in?! does that mean you don't read my valuable tweets on twitter?! lolol

Anonymous said...

um, it means that I don't officially follow you... lol

ChiTownGuevara said...

....creep.

Anonymous said...

to you maybe. to me, it's reading good writing. :P

ChiTownGuevara said...

LOL. You owe me another clue btw, creepster.

Anonymous said...

this is the price i pay for reading your blog, eh? LOL
we've never formally met.

ChiTownGuevara said...

That's a dumb clue! It's the same one as one of the first clues!

Anonymous said...

i was hoping you wouldn't notice. LOL
i have to make these as vague as possible so i'm gonna go with i'm not arab.

if betting was allowed, i would bet that even with all these clues you'd never figure it out LOL

ChiTownGuevara said...

You're probably right man. I'm just gonna keep posting things till the only clue you'll have left is your name. I'm a genius.

Anonymous said...

don't nazar yourself. LOL

ChiTownGuevara said...

Don't nazar me!

Anonymous said...

oh i would never nazar you. You're just too smart.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Please. You're making me blush like a little schoolgirl

Anonymous said...

believe me, i had nothing to do with that.

ChiTownGuevara said...

You're right. I actually just flattered myself when I said I was a genius.

Anonymous said...

you also lied to yourself. good job genius. :D

ChiTownGuevara said...

You called me a genius too. So now either we're both liars. Or we're both geniuses.

Anonymous said...

ok fine einstein, i have to win though, so i'll just be more genius than you. lol

ChiTownGuevara said...

So you just called yourself smarter than Einstein? He wouldn't appreciate that and nor do I

Anonymous said...

oops i forgot...mA.

Anonymous said...

one of my post ideas went through! woooot! :)

ChiTownGuevara said...

LOL you are crazy. Follow me on twitter you creep

Anonymous said...

maybe if you ask nicely...lol
also i just happened to click on your profile when you popped up on my suggested friends FYI.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Follow me on twitter please?

Or tell me who you are dammit lol

Anonymous said...

never!

ChiTownGuevara said...

You realize this is a lot more awkward than just telling me who you are right? -.-

Anonymous said...

maybe, but i feel like it would be waaay more awkward to tell you right now.

i told you i would tell you if i ever got to know you.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Waaaay more awkward is you creepin, foo

Anonymous said...

true.

ChiTownGuevara said...

So what's your name stranger

ChiTownGuevara said...

You owe me another clue then sucka

Anonymous said...

no post, no clue. those are the rules. lollll

ChiTownGuevara said...

There's a fine for creeping! 2 clues

Anonymous said...

oh goodness, i can't keep up with these rules.

ChiTownGuevara said...

I know. There's kind of a lot but I'll fill you in as you go along. So go ahead

Anonymous said...

ugh fine.
1. i go to school somewhere in Illinois.
2. we know some of the same people, i think.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Weakest. Clues. Ever. Especially the 2nd one. To make up for it, you can tell me your birthday

Anonymous said...

okay, listen. you cannot be picky about these clues. you get what you get. lol

ChiTownGuevara said...

Those aren't even real clues! Birthday, go!

Anonymous said...

you are being difficult sifat! i'm an aquarius.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Hmmm...that's not a date. So you owe me your initials.

Anonymous said...

no way! game over!

ChiTownGuevara said...

Fineeee, at least your first or last initial and you don't have to tell me which one it is

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry. your call cannot be completed as dialed. :P

ChiTownGuevara said...

You're not following the rules!

Anonymous said...

NO FREAKIN WAY! you're the rulebreaker here! you said one clue per post. i think i've given you waaaay more than that. and too much info! get crackin on that reflection!

ChiTownGuevara said...

INITIALS, WOMAN!

Anonymous said...

no way! go home man!

ChiTownGuevara said...

I am home! First letter of first or last name and i'll stop

Anonymous said...

ok C.S.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Lewis?

Anonymous said...

no Carmen Sandiego. Frankly idk why we're even having this conversation. I thought you already knew that was my name. You did assign it to me.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Real initials!

Anonymous said...

Sifat! write a new post!

ChiTownGuevara said...

You can't just say my name like you know me!

Anonymous said...

my bad. YOU! write a new post!

ChiTownGuevara said...

I will but YOU need to give me your initials!

Anonymous said...

i don't neeeed to. what are your initials?

ChiTownGuevara said...

CTG. now your turn

Anonymous said...

CS.

ChiTownGuevara said...

You suck. I don't like you lmao

Anonymous said...

don't hate the player. hate the gamemaker (aka you). :)

ChiTownGuevara said...

You know the game always wins right?

Anonymous said...

"you're delusional, you're delusional, boy you're losin your mind"

ChiTownGuevara said...

The only thing I'm obsessed with is who's creepin on me

Anonymous said...

is it really creeping? i think it's like reading any other blog that's posted on the internet. my faves are the food ones. LOL

ChiTownGuevara said...

Oh no, the blog reading is completely fine. Anyone can read it. The twitter creeping though...that's on some creeper ish.

Anonymous said...

fine ill stop reading your tweets. lol don't worry i wasn't really an avid creeper.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Orrrr you can do what normal people do and just follow me. Duh.

Anonymous said...

maybe one day iA haha

ChiTownGuevara said...

You're impossible

Anonymous said...

bahaha! i try my best.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Go pray and sleep lol

Anonymous said...

but I'm hungry! #gottagetmysunnahon

ChiTownGuevara said...

go eat then! shoooot. it's almost fajr time

Anonymous said...

my oven's slow as hell.

ChiTownGuevara said...

lolll whatcha makin

Anonymous said...

pizza lol

ChiTownGuevara said...

how fancy. when do you do fajr?

Anonymous said...

4:41. what are you eating for suhoor?

ChiTownGuevara said...

whaaat, late as hell. what masjid do you follow? I just had cereal lol

Anonymous said...

al-nottellingbutnicetry islamic center.

ChiTownGuevara said...

LOL that took me a second to process. that's not what i was tryna do but good catch regardless haha

Anonymous said...

well when does your masjid pray fajr?

ChiTownGuevara said...

4:19

Anonymous said...

woah! that's when i eat suhoor! i didn't think it differed that much if you lived in the same state.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Lol that's why I asked which masjid you followed cuz I know masjids in the same area that have pretty different times

Anonymous said...

loll i would tell you, but then i would be disclosing too much info. i'm gonna go pray and sleep. till your next post! :)

Anonymous said...

so the other day I was thinking about this Newtown shooting that happened recently and just about people dying around us and I remembered this post and thought I'd read it again. It got me to marvel at this fact of how we let things go so easily esp when it doesn't hit so close to home. For instance, when you've never experienced someone so close to you dying, and then you encounter someone who is going through that, it doesn't affect you as much because you don't know what or how to feel until it happens to you. Eventually you just put it in the back of your mind and move on. It's life, moving on. But the rate at which we release our hard feelings for situations like Newtown just amazes me. Just thought I'd share that with you.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Very well said. It pains me to say that I've experienced that feeling recently

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry to hear that. The best thing to do is to pray for that person's forgiveness and that they may enter jannah inshAllah.

I feel like I can't understand that feeling. I mean I feel it, but it's numbing along with other things that I can't describe. sorrow? fear? I just don't know, but it definitely makes me more conscientious about the Hereafter.

ChiTownGuevara said...

At the end of the day, that's all that matters