Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Activism



It is a time of undying unrest in the Middle East. I don't want to go into much detail, so I invite you to please research the uprisings happening all over the Middle East as civilians are standing up for justice, all while being treated like savages by their respective leaders. Injustice in the Middle East is nothing new. Probably the most well-known or popular story out of the Middle East is the constant fight between the Palestinians and Israelis.

Since then, revolutions have started in countries like Egypt, Libya and most recently, Syria. I'm not here to discuss politics though. If you know me, you know that I can't stand politics. I'm going to look at this through more of a social view. Earlier this week, I noticed one of my followers had a little mini rant on Twitter. A few days before that rant, she had made a seemingly harmless and heartfelt tweet asking Syrians to remain patient as they go through trying times. Judging from her rant, she had received backlash for that tweet. It seemed as though some people (most likely people extremely passionate about the Syrian cause) thought that tweet was demeaning and belittling. I guess they felt that she did not understand what a difficult time this was for them. It also seemed that they were disappointed people were not doing more to help the Syrian people.

Before I continue, most of the things I said above are inferences. Maybe the story is different. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Also, I mean no offense to anyone in this entire post. I am merely voicing my opinion. As a human being and a practicing Muslim, I am against all injustices everywhere. That being said...

Let's go back to the Palestinian cause for a second. Let it be very clear that I am extremely supportive of this cause. They have been dealing with unfair and downright disgusting and inhumane injustices from the Israeli military for decades. If I were able to end their hardship, I would do it in half a heartbeat. But unfortunately it doesn't work that way. What else can we do? I've had people give me heat for not actively attending protests or fundraisers, or as my follower said in her rant "obsessively tweet/facebook" about these causes.

Speaking of the Palestinian cause, I have to bone to pick with some of my Palestinian brothers and sisters. I understand you guys are fighting for justice. I know that it is your people, your family, your friends that you are fighting for. I know and understand all this. But please, I beg of you to please stop taking it to the extreme. Your cause is important. But if there's a deadly flood in Pakistan, your cause is no more important than that. If there are revolutions in Syria, your cause isn't any bigger than that. These are all humanitarian crises that need to be addressed and they all need our support. So when we're at a fundraising dinner to raise money for victims of the Pakistan flood, please don't preach about Palestine. It's disrespectful to those passionate about that cause.

Activism isn't about being loud and drawing attention to yourself. Activism is actually doing something to make a difference. That is not to belittle those who protest in cities all over the nation to bring attention to a cause. But what cause are you protesting for? Are you protesting to bring attention to the injustice just so other people can agree and protest with you? Or are you protesting to actually promise to try and do something to end any injustice?

I'm not questioning your intentions. But I am asking you not to judge what's on the minds of everyone out there that may not seem to be at your level in terms of passion for a cause. I have the same amount of passion for the Palestinian cause as I do for the genocides in Africa. The amount of disappointment I have in the American government for treating their minorities poorly is the same amount of disappointment I have for countries that stand by and let injustices happen to their neighboring countries simply to avoid political implications. I have the same amount of anger towards all those leaders and their military that oppress their people just to flex power and suppress opposition. These are all humanitarian crises and none are more important than the other. Regardless of race or religion, we should be angered by all of these issues.

I know this is a really unorganized and random rant, but it's something I needed to get out. It's admirable and even inspiring when people stand up for justice. But they demean themselves by criticizing others for either not doing enough or not being sincere about their concern for a certain event.

All that being said, I just pray for peace and justice for all. No one should go through difficult times. However that is the test of life. It's how we deal with tough situations that determines what kind of person we really are. As for the people in the Middle East, I ask with all sincerity to please be patient. To my activist friends, continue doing what you're doing. But don't look down on people who don't seem to be doing "as much" as you. They probably have a deeper connection to the cause than you do. You never know.

Peace and love.

2 comments:

Faraaz Saiduzzaman said...

The terrible thing about the kind of massacres and oppression that are going on right now in the world is that the people dying are not the only victims. The victims are those who come after everything that happened and are born into a world where they are taught to hate their previous oppressors for their previous actions.

It is not long then, before one cause becomes "more valid" than another. And one people becomes more "deserving" of the oppression.

It's in the attitude. Islam teaches that literally no injustice is tolerable. And one must take the side of justice, regardless of the oppressor's race or even religion.

God grant peace to the people of revolution.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Agreed. I just wish for everyone to be patient with each other and with their own hardships. Of course, I may be unjustified in saying that because I'm not going through it personally. And may God grant peace to everyone, indeed.