Thursday, August 16, 2012

Farewell; A Call To All


As quickly as it has come, it is leaving even quicker. It's just like that one friend you had. The one you became so close to and couldn't go a day without talking to, and suddenly they're gone. You wonder how they could leave just like that. You think to yourself that there's no way someone can come and affect you so greatly in such a positive way and then disappear the next day. The only thing you can hope for is that one day they'll come back and you can renew the strong connection you had from last time.

This is what the end of Ramadan is like to me this year.

The reason I say this year is because I don't think I've ever had a Ramadan like this before. A Ramadan where I did as much dhikr (remembrance of Allah) and tried to avoid as many sins as I possibly could. I'm not trying to flaunt any sinning I've done in my past, but I would be lying if I told you I was "religious" or "pious." That's not to say that I'm not trying though. 

This Ramadan was a month of reflection for me. A month of redemption. Reflecting on the past mistakes I've made and redeeming myself in the eyes of Allah. It was the first Ramadan where in addition to avoiding food and drink, I had to be consciously aware that I wasn’t lying, cursing, backbiting or anything else negative that could technically discount your fast in the eyes of Allah. It was the first Ramadan where I heard the Imam cry while reciting the Quran during taraweeh and wonder if there was something wrong with me because I hadn’t shed a single tear. It was the first Ramadan where I had no distractions. No excuses. Nothing at all to stop me from taking full advantage of this month. No school, no work, no family obligations, nothing.

At ICC (Islamic Center of Chicago), they have a great program where there’s a short tafseer (lecture) about the verses that were read during that night’s taraweeh (nightly prayer during the month of Ramadan). This month, I made sure that I listened carefully to what the sheikhs had to say and tried as best as I could to apply them in my daily life. I tried to read as much Quran as I could while looking at the meaning at the same time so I know what I was reading. I tried to limit the number of times I went out with friends to have iftar (the meal to break your fast) or suhoor (the meal you eat right before you start your fast). The little things count.

It was a month where I actually felt at peace. There were things that tested my patience but I tried as best as I could to keep calm and just leave it be. Or so I thought.

In the past couple weeks, Islamophobia has seemingly become more widespread and more closer to home. A representative in my own state claimed that “radical Islamists” had infiltrated the suburbs of Chicago. And as soon as he said this, a barrage of hate crimes were reported. Air rifles were fired at MEC in Morton Grove, IL. CPSA in Lombard, IL had a homemade acid bomb thrown at it as well. Both during the times of our nightly prayer. Mosques all over the country including Boston and Oklahoma City were vandalized. And of course, there was the mosque that was burned down in Joplin, MO.

We Muslims as a whole tried to stay patient through all of this. Yes, charges were filed in some cases and justice (God willing) will prevail. The authoritative figures dealt with the situations in a reasonable way. Let the ignorant ones hate, we said. There’s nothing more we can do but show them that we’re not who they think we are. We are as peaceful as people can get. Theoretically. I’m asking all my Muslim brothers and sisters to please watch yourself. Not in the sense that you may be a victim of some hate crime, but watch yourself because you are a representative of a peaceful religion. If we perform belligerent actions, those around us will think that Islam teaches such things. Again, keep in mind that although you may not be the perfect Muslim by any means, you still represent Islam. For all you know, the guy carrying your grocery bags to your car may change his ignorant views of Islam simply through your actions because you may be the only Muslim he has ever come across personally. The root word for Islam literally translates to peace. Let’s be pioneers and examples of peace.

But then came news about Syria. And more disturbingly, Burma. I will be honest, this “ethnic cleansing” has been going on for over a decade in Burma but I have not heard about it till very recently. I ask of my fellow Muslims and non-Muslims alike to stand up against this. All you have to do is make your voice heard. Sign a petition, post a video on Facebook, organize a fundraising at your school. Do something to stop this for this is not about Islam, this is a humanitarian issue that must be addressed.

Anyway, back to me.

These events disturbed my peace a little. Then came issues about my personal life that disturbed my peace a little more. At times I wanted to snap and just forget about it all. I just wanted to “do me.” And then I thought of how almost my entire life I had been like that. That hard-headed, hard-hearted guy that would do whatever he wanted without caring what others thought. I figured it wasn’t worth going back to that because it got me nowhere.

So what did I decide for the time being? To just be at peace for now. At least until Ramadan is over. If people did me wrong or hurt me in any way, I dropped it. I’m not gonna exert any energy trying to fight back or get revenge. I’ll just smile and be polite and continue staying focused on bettering myself as a person because we are all far from perfect.

Sidenote: If you haven’t noticed already, this is going to be more like a rant. So to continue…

I have realized how blessed I am this Ramadan. Despite all the negative things that have happened, I am thankful to be where I am today. I have family and friends that I may butt heads with but at the end of the day, the love is still there. I’m blessed to have found a job this summer that opened up my eyes to a totally new experience. I’m blessed to have the opportunity to obtain a higher education. I’m blessed to have the food on my plate every day, hot water running through my house every day, an air conditioned car at my disposal, electronic devices that keep me updated on everything at every time. And more than that, I’m blessed to have two arms, two legs, and the ability to see, hear and think.

When I realized all these blessings, I realized something else as well. I realized how I take every single thing for granted. As if this was supposed to happen because I was born and raised into a middle class family in Chicago. For that, I ask for forgiveness from Allah because without Him, I am nothing.

Watching the Olympics made me respect and view athletes in a much different light. Those who praised God (whatever religion they may be) whether they won or lost really hit me hard. I need to start doing that in my own Olympics which I call my life. There’s a line by Outlandish that goes “If you fail, you take a bow. Even if you succeed, you take a bow.” Bow in front of God because He is the reason you won. And if you lost, it’s because He has bigger plans for you.

Tonight, the Quran was completed during the taraweeh prayer. The huffazs (people who memorized the entire Quran by heart) cannot be commended enough for their beautiful recitation throughout the month. May Allah build them mansions in Heaven. I felt chills during prayer today. The Imam broke down in tears as did many others during the recitation. And again it made me wonder if there was something wrong with me because my eyes were still dry.

And now as I think about how tonight is the 27th night of Ramadan, I want to rewind back to the first night and redo it all again. All those nights after taraweeh when I just came and sat on gchat for a bit before going to bed could’ve been spent more productively. There were times of weakness when I was listening to music, I would’ve changed that. When I was too hungry to do anything else, I sat and watched tv and saw some things that I shouldn’t have, I would’ve spent that time more wisely. But as Mufti Hussain Kamani said tonight, it’s not about how you start the race but rather how you finish it. I plan to make the most of these last 3 nights or so of Ramadan. I know, it seems counterproductive that I’m writing this now but I do it in hopes that putting it in writing truly helps me see how much this Ramadan has meant to me.

I’ve seen people do a Ramadan Reflection type of post for each day of Ramadan. InshAllah (God willing), I will try to do the same next year if I am able to see Ramadan again. Because I know I wanted to say a lot more in this post that’s just slipping my mind right now. Maybe it’s for the better because this rant is way too long lol. I will improve on my mistakes from this year and the best way I can do that is by working on them starting today.

I ask you all to please pray for me and to pray for the world. For all humans alike. Men, women, children. Black, white, brown, yellow, red. Young, old, in between. We are all humans. We are all flesh and blood. We all came from Adam and Eve and one day we will all rest in the dirt. Nothing makes one of us better than the rest. We are all equal. Money, power, fame are nothing because they are just blessings God gave you. He can just as easily take it all away. So don’t flaunt it, just be grateful. And give back. Because at some point, you were desperate too. Even if you weren’t, have a heart. Look at the people in Burma (seriously, click this link), look at the people in Syria, Palestine, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Somalia, China, Jordan and every other place where people are being oppressed. Don’t stand for injustice or ignorance. Don’t be silent in the face of inhumane acts. I’ll be the first to admit that the older generation has some narrow minded ideals when it comes to certain things. Let’s break these walls down and unite as a people to create peace. And speaking of peace, let’s pray that nothing like what happened at the theater in Colorado, or the shooting in the Sikh temple in Wisconsin, or Virginia Tech, or Columbine ever happens to us.

To my fellow Muslims specifically, please pray for peace within ourselves. Seeing incidents at IFS and the Northridge Masjid in Los Angeles hurt us more than you can imagine. Let us put aside petty differences and work in the path of Allah. Let us resolve these little issues quickly so that we can focus on uniting our Ummah as a whole. United we stand, divided we fall. And right now, we are falling. What a terrible way to say goodbye to Ramadan.

Let us rise above hate, ignorance, oppression and discrimination. Let us pray and strive for peace and unity.

#OneUmmah


152 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh man, I'm a post behind! lol This was a pretty thorough Ramadan reflection. And well written mA. I got the impression that you felt that you grew as a person during this month and that's a great accomplishment, as Ramadan is a time for us to grow. I feel bad to say that I have slipped up on a few things this Ramadan that I told myself I wouldn't do, but every night at taraweeh I ask for Allah's forgiveness and try to start all over again. I also feel like this is a good time to reflect upon the strength of the ummah, mend broken bonds and really work to become unified, because how else can we overcome the opposition from the outside? I also believe that these recent events are a sort of test from Allah to see if we have the ability to stay close to our iman and strengthen it in these difficult times. May Allah protect us and grant us patience and the ability to strengthen our iman.

ChiTownGuevara said...

I agree completely with the test thing. It's up to us to remain unified in solidarity and face any adversity that comes our way. And He never gives us more than we can handle.

Btw do you ever sleep?

Anonymous said...

LOL i've become a robot, but i think even those sleep sometimes.

do you??? haha

ChiTownGuevara said...

Occasionally lol. It's hard to fall asleep after fajr

Anonymous said...

so true, it takes me about an hour of trying before i could actually fall asleep.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Haha when did you do fajr this morning? It takes me at least an hour. So annoying.

Anonymous said...

i prayed fajr at around five.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Haha no wonder you were up so late. Was your oven working fine for suhoor? Loll

Anonymous said...

good thing i didn't need it today. i had cereal today haha

ChiTownGuevara said...

Cereal is the way to go. I was too hungry last night though, cereal just doesn't cut it anymore haha.

Also you wanna do me a favor?

Anonymous said...

tell you who i am? no thank you.

ChiTownGuevara said...

LOL you could do that too but that's not what I was gonna ask lol. Did you watch the video about Burma that I linked?

Anonymous said...

lol not yet. i'll watch it right now.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Haha ok. Watch it and get back to me

Anonymous said...

oh man, that was so heartbreaking. Where are these people supposed to go? They are originally Bangladeshi (from what I've understood reading about it) so they should be able to go back despite their religious views. I think Sheikh Hasina is refusing their entry into Bangladesh due to her secular views, but I don't understand why the UN won't take these matters into their hand. They are just like any other persons struggling with genocide in their country. It's sad and frustrating when you hear about people in the world being so heartless.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Damn you're smart lol. But yes exactly. And tell me if you ever heard about this tragedy in the media. Guaranteed they won't present this story. People had posted the story on CNN's Facebook page but the posts were deleted immediately and when asked about it, they said they just didn't have enough time to cover this story cuz they had other things to talk a out. That's complete bs. So if they're not gonna present this story, it's up to us to spread the word. Post the video on twitter, Facebook, gchat status, whatever.

Last night after taraweeh, a refugee from Burma spoke to us. The whole time he was crying because although he made it out, his brother was surrounded by military and was in a helpless situation. It's one thing when the US isn't helping them out. But it's a whole other issue when Muslim countries aren't helping out their own brothers and sisters. It really is a heartbreaking situation.

Anonymous said...

lol thanks. oh yes because miley cyrus's new haircut is waaay more important than genocide. that makes sense. the only media i've seen keeping some updates on this situation are BBC and NPR. That's amazing that you got to meet a refugee and learn about his experience. It lets us know that there is still hope for these people and you're so right, how can we expect to strengthen our ummah when we don't help it?

ChiTownGuevara said...

That haircut is riddikalus btw. But yes haha. We need to fix ourselves. Idk if you Heard about the situation at IFS? It's disgraceful to or community as a whole

Anonymous said...

dude why is she still even a news item? I haven't heard about IFS. What's the situation there?

ChiTownGuevara said...

Haha beats me. Man it's crazy at IFS, you should visit. They're just having internal troubles and it's making us all look bad as a whole. Idk about you but that's why I'm so blessed to be part of the community I'm in because there is unity for the most part as the people are so sincere. We need to fix that in all the communities all over the city and the whole world even.

Anonymous said...

I've been a few times. It's a beautiful masjid, and I just googled their situation and read about it and that's bogus. I come from a pretty diverse community and it's very homey. We all work together to keep stay unified. Unity is definitely the key to a strong ummah.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Same here. Actually I read somewhere that the zip code that I live in is the most diverse in the country haha. And the masjid I go to reflects that. We have people literally from all corners of the world that attend. Unity definitely is the key and we as an ummah are farrrrr from that which is unfortunate. And if we can't deal with the little things, we surely can't deal with the bigger issues.

Anonymous said...

Eid Mubarak! :)

ChiTownGuevara said...

Eid Mubarak!

PS you owe me two clues and an Eid present/clue

Anonymous said...

lol so demanding!

1) we're not in the same year in school.
2) we don't live that close to each other.

bonus eid clue: i'm a hijabi.

ps. don't judge the quality of the clues LOL

ChiTownGuevara said...

Yeah you're clues suck. Lolll.

And how do you know where I live?! Creep!

Anonymous said...

don't you live in chicago? "chitownguevara"? silly sifat

ChiTownGuevara said...

Lol all you suburbanites are far away. What a dumb clue. I demand a better one!

Anonymous said...

who said i lived in a suburb? LOL

ChiTownGuevara said...

Where else would you live? Bufuland?

Anonymous said...

...sure, wherever that is.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Hahaha. So what adventures you got planned for tomorrow for Eid?

Anonymous said...

nothing out of the ordinary. just going to the masjid, and eating up a storm at people's houses. you?

ChiTownGuevara said...

Nice. Pretty much the same except my mom invited people over so I will be eating up a storm at my own house. You should come to Eid Fest at IFS

Anonymous said...

I heard about it, but it's not close enough to me :( mom cooking is always the best. my mom usually has people over too.

ChiTownGuevara said...

It's not close to me either but it looks like it should be worth the drive lol. Hell yeah I agree. My mom's food is the best

Anonymous said...

enjoy! i heard my masjid's bringing a moon bounce, but it might just be a rumor. lol.
also i think i should get an eid present too...how about no clues for the next three posts?

ChiTownGuevara said...

Orrrrrr you could just tell me who you are and I'll get you something better lolll

Anonymous said...

what will you get me?

ChiTownGuevara said...

An all expense paid trip to Harry Potter land for you and your family!

Anonymous said...

you're lying! LOL

ChiTownGuevara said...

Well duh. I ain't your local radio station lol

Anonymous said...

way to ruin my eid...and my life. :P

ChiTownGuevara said...

It's not my fault! Your family is too big! I can't afford them ALL

Anonymous said...

that's your problem buddy! no clues for three posts. its in the rule book.

is your eid as tiring as mine? all i wanna do is nap. lol

ChiTownGuevara said...

Ha! I don't see that anywhere in the rule book!

And yes. I'm exhausted. I just wanna wear normal clothes.

Anonymous said...

you need glasses. its under the section titled, GIFTS.

ugh yes me too! i feel like sweatpants should be the new dress code for eid. lol

ChiTownGuevara said...

Umm..you clearly didn't read the amendment at the end which null and voids the GIFTS section. Have you never been a part of a board? C'mon now, you're slackin!

lolll my house just cleared out. Time to chill to the max.

Anonymous said...

how dare you?!

ChiTownGuevara said...

...how dare I what? lol

Anonymous said...

lol oh no i lose. i couldn't find a better retort because i was so shocked by this nullifcation of GIFTS. who does that?!

ChiTownGuevara said...

the creator of the constitution of this blog. aka me. i thought you were smart!

Anonymous said...

i am! mA. but i'm sure you can understand the stress on my brain after learning that i won't get to go to Harry Potter land courtesy of you. it's a sad day.

ChiTownGuevara said...

hahaha I didn't realize Harry Potter had such a large space in your heart.

Anonymous said...

dude, you have no idea.

ChiTownGuevara said...

LOL. Nice. You and my sister would be bffs.

Anonymous said...

haha, it was a really big part of my childhood. you like it, right?


ChiTownGuevara said...

yeahh I do but my sister is like crazy about it. she's actually in the middle of re-reading all the books again for like the 10th time.

Anonymous said...

hahahah totally something i used to do. it would drive my family crazy. i think my obsession has died down a bit over the years, which is good because it would be weird if i was over-obsessed with it in my 20's.

ChiTownGuevara said...

lol don't lie, you probably bust out the Goblet of Fire when no one's looking.

Anonymous said...

shaddup! don't tell anyone! lolll

ChiTownGuevara said...

i knew it! are you a Twilight groupie too?

Anonymous said...

oh hell no! that is the worst piece of crap ever written, but if i ever had to choose, i would def pick team jacob. lolll

ChiTownGuevara said...

calm down, little one lol

Anonymous said...

little one? i might be bigger than you.

ChiTownGuevara said...

LOL. But you're still younger.

Anonymous said...

how do you know?

ChiTownGuevara said...

haha don't you know my age, CREEP?

Anonymous said...

actually no, but i can assume bc i know what year you're in. creepier?

ChiTownGuevara said...

yes...

Anonymous said...

maybe you can make some assumptions based off of that. that's all i'm gonna say on this post. loll

ChiTownGuevara said...

i know you're not in my year so you're younger. See? #contextclues

Anonymous said...

#thisisnttwitter LOL

ChiTownGuevara said...

#idowhatiwant

Anonymous said...

#clearly lol

ChiTownGuevara said...

#myblog #myrules

now gimme a clue

Anonymous said...

GIMME A POST!

ChiTownGuevara said...

i need a clue to motivate me!

Anonymous said...

rule number 192: no motivation clues no matter how much sifat asks.

ChiTownGuevara said...

rule number 1: always do as sifat asks.

Anonymous said...

rule number 2: never follow rule number 1.

ChiTownGuevara said...

since when did you start making the rules?? CLUE. GO.

Anonymous said...

you know you're only gonna get stupid clues...such as...i'm not very tall. LOL

ChiTownGuevara said...

A clue is a clue nonetheless. I bet you're someone everyone knows too. You're just making things difficult for me lol

Anonymous said...

betting's haram. lol i have one request...if you really want to find out who i am...don't tell anyone.

ChiTownGuevara said...

Tell anyone who you are? Of course not lol

Anonymous said...

seriously?

ChiTownGuevara said...

Do I look like I'm joking? *makes serious face*

Anonymous said...

judging by the expression in that picture, i'll believe you. i'll try to give you better clues next post lol key word there...TRY.

ChiTownGuevara said...

LOL or you could just tell me who you are.

Anonymous said...

no, it's more fun this way lol

ChiTownGuevara said...

What a tease

Anonymous said...

whatevs man

also just curious...: what's your major?

ChiTownGuevara said...

Idk....what's YOURS

Anonymous said...

omg stop lying! you can't not have a major in your year! you owe me this after ALLLLL the clues i've given you.

ChiTownGuevara said...

I mean you already seem to know all about me! Give me your major and I'll tell you mine

Anonymous said...

no deal. and i don't know all about you. i know tidbits, like your name. and if you knew who i was i'm sure you'd know tidbits about me too. sooo cough it up!

ChiTownGuevara said...

Sure....as soon as you cough up your name!

Anonymous said...

you're impossible.

ChiTownGuevara said...

........yeah.....I'M the impossible one -.-

Anonymous said...

you are! i give you seventy million clues about me and you can't even tell me your major!

ChiTownGuevara said...

Because you already know who I am!!!

Anonymous said...

excuses, excuses.

ChiTownGuevara said...

whatever dude, i'm gonna work off my frustrations by going to the gym

Anonymous said...

what frustrations?

ChiTownGuevara said...

the ones you placed on me!

Anonymous said...

hahaha you brought it upon yourself dude

ChiTownGuevara said...

naw dude. you made me fat and lazy

Anonymous said...

how the hell would i do that? hahaha

ChiTownGuevara said...

by making me sit here trying to figure out who you are.

Anonymous said...

come onnnn sifat! you can do it! woooot!

ChiTownGuevara said...

lol you d-bag.

whatcha up to?

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA that's the first time anyone's ever called me that!

i'm just chillin and kind of freaking out because there's so much to do in such little time. how was your workout? were you able to move up to the 10 lb weights today? >:)

ChiTownGuevara said...

lol so much to do? like what?

and i didn't work out. i ate unhealthy foods and drove around for hours. and now i'm catching up on my tv shows lolll.

Anonymous said...

its the week before school starts and there's all this prep stuff to do for all the student organizations i'm apart of and also i still have to figure out my schedule. i'm such a scrub. lol what shows do you watch?

ChiTownGuevara said...

a buncha shows lol. Entourage used to be my favorite show but now I watch a buncha things. How I Met Your Mother, The Firm (I think they cancelled it though), Suits, Chuck and I'm trying to get into Breaking Bad and Dexter. And then of course I have my guilty pleasures which shall not be mentioned lol. what about you?

Anonymous said...

you watch Chuck?! now we have to be best friends. almost no one else i know watches that show. i watch himym too and most of the nbc shows. i have some unmentionables as well. haha

some of the new shows last season were pretty good so i got hooked on those too.

ChiTownGuevara said...

lol well my sister's a huge fan of it. I've been watching episodes here and there but i'm having trouble keeping up with it lol. haha that's cool. I'm currently hooked on Suits. It's freakin amazing lol. have you ever watched it?

Anonymous said...

lol i made an attempt to watch it, but only season 2 was on hulu, so i gave up. i hear a lot of good things about it.

ChiTownGuevara said...

oh nooo you've gotta see it! it's amazing lol. but i was actually about to watch HIMYM right now, I'm about to start the latest season lol. i heard Neil Patrick Harris is coming to speak at U of I next month.

Anonymous said...

woah really? that's legendary! hahaha
are you planning on going?

ChiTownGuevara said...

hell yeah! i'm not gonna miss out on meeting Barney.

Anonymous said...

i had a prof last year who kind of looked like marshall. the resemblance was scary. do you watch the big bang theory?

ChiTownGuevara said...

LOL which professor?? and yeah here and there. the nerds get annoying though.

Anonymous said...

a science professor lol
yeah but sheldon is the best cuz he's such an ass.

Anonymous said...

did you have a good first day? lol

ChiTownGuevara said...

meh...it was boring lol. i just want it to be summer again haha. what about you?

Anonymous said...

it was really chill, but it felt like we never left school for the summer. lol

ChiTownGuevara said...

haha i feel you. it's like riding a bike.

Anonymous said...

also this weather isn't helping much.

ChiTownGuevara said...

forreallllll it's too nice out for class lol

Anonymous said...

what classes are you taking?

ChiTownGuevara said...

oh you know...a little of this and a little of that.

Anonymous said...

lol sounds like fun.

ChiTownGuevara said...

yeah i learned bunches

Anonymous said...

likeee biology? lolll

ChiTownGuevara said...

lol no, more like which part of a class has the best cell phone reception and which classes i will never attend for the rest of the semester haha

Anonymous said...

i'm guessing you're probably not one to sit in the front row haha. all my profs threatened us with major point deductions if we miss a single class. this is new for me. i consistently skip at least one class per semester. lol

ChiTownGuevara said...

one class per semester? you're such a rebel.

Anonymous said...

haha i wish! i usually go to the library to study for other classes when i skip.

ChiTownGuevara said...

#nerd

Anonymous said...

#rude

Anonymous said...

i hope you write a new post soon!

ChiTownGuevara said...

Me too! I'm all out of ideas right now though lol

Anonymous said...

school can do that to ya man. lol

ChiTownGuevara said...

haha it's not even school though, it's not like I'm busy or anything. I just can't think of anything to write about.

Anonymous said...

write aboutt....hmmm...what you expect to do after college? lol #dumbideas

ChiTownGuevara said...

lmaooo if only i knew. that's probably the worst idea i've ever head hahahaha.

Anonymous said...

it's the worst idea i've ever heard too! lol maybe this is why i can't keep up with my own blog. hahaha

Anonymous said...

hows that new post coming? lol

ChiTownGuevara said...

not well lol. the inspiration has passed.

Anonymous said...

lol hopefully it will come back again.